If your pen refuses to touch paper and your fingers won’t tap on the computer keys, you’re in need of some writing prompts.
Here’s some to start off 2011. Bang goes the starter’s gun and the muse is off and racing:
- If you were in the Queensland floods pour your heart out about it. Write a story about what happened to you and your family or neighbours. If you weren’t in the floods – imagine that you were.
- A caterpillar crawls across your outdoor table. Describe him and write a children’s story.
- A dog barks. A woman screams. There’s a loud crash and glass smashes. What’s the story?
- Sunshine – we all miss it. Why does sunshine make you feel happy?
- Write about an exotic location that you’ve always wanted to visit.
- Create a recipe for life, happiness, love or family.
- Grab your dictionary. Flip to a page. Point on a word. Write a story featuring this word or the meaning of the word.
- Pick up your favourite magazine. Write an article that would be suited to the style of the publication. Edit it and send it in. (Yes, send it! What have you got to lose?)
- If you could give a gift at the moment what would it be? Mine would be water receding and rain easing to warm sunshine.
I hope this has got you started. Good luck with your writing year and may the muse stay on your shoulder but be light like an angel not heavy like a burden.